Chelsea’s Jorginho, Barcelona’s Putellas win UEFA player of year prizes

Britain’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson visits Northwood Headquarters, the British Armed Forces Permanent Joint Headquarters, in Eastbury, northwest of London, on August 26, 2021. – The Prime Minister visited Northwood Headquarters to meet personnel working on the UK operation in Afghanistan. Britain has so far evacuated 11,474 people from Kabul since August 13, including more than 6,946 Afghan individuals and their families, according to recent figures. (Photo by Adrian DENNIS / various sources / AFP)



Britain will continue the operation to evacuate nationals and Afghans from Kabul despite Thursday’s “barbaric” bomb attack, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.

“We’ve been ready for it,” he said of the attack. “We’re going to continue with that operation, we’re now coming towards the very end of it in any event.

“We’re going to work flat out… getting people through as fast as they can still, and we’re going to keep going up until the last moment,” said the prime minister, shortly after chairing a meeting of the emergency COBR committee.

He said that members of the US military had “very sadly” lost their lives in the attacks, as well as “many Afghan casualties”.

The threat of a terrorist attack was “one of the constraints that we’ve been operating under” during the operation, he added.

“But, clearly, what this attack shows is the importance of continuing that work in as fast and as efficient manner as possible in the hours that remain to us, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

The UK leader called the attacks “barbaric”, and paid tribute to the “phenomenal effort” of those involved in the evacuation operation.

“There’s been nothing like it for decades and decades,” he said, adding that the “overwhelming majority of those who are eligible have now been extracted from Afghanistan.”

Around 12,000 Britons and Afghans who assisted the country during the war have been evacuated in the operation, said Johnson.

The Ministry of Defence later said on Twitter that “there have been no reported UK military or UK government casualties following the incidents in Kabul.

“UK forces are working closely with our partners to provide security and medical assistance,” it added.

Two explosions struck near the main gate of the airport, causing multiple casualties in what the US military labelled a “complex attack” that took place as countries raced to complete evacuations from Afghanistan.

One explosion hit the Baron Hotel, about 200 yards (metres) from the Abbey Gate, which had been used by some western nations as a staging point for evacuations since the airlift began on August 14.

In the wake of the attack, the British government issued a “Notice to Aviation”, advising airlines to avoid Afghan airspace under 7,600 metres (25,000 feet).





No comments yet

Related

About chukwuemeka 1707 Articles
Welcome to my world, I hope you had a good tour, My name is Odenigbo Chukwuemeka but better of known as Emijoe. Am the founder of Emijoemedia, I update the globe on the happenings on Music World, News update and Sport. DO YOUR BEST BY SHARING EVERY OF OUR UPDATES THANKS. FOR YOUR ADVERT PLACEMENT CONTACT US @ emekajeo4@gmail.com OR 08066415743

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*